Over at the iPhone Blog they’re showing what’s supposed to be be in the next update to the iPhone OS. This update will push the version to 3.1 and is reportedly almost ready to be released.
Here’s what the iPhone blog guys say is going to be in the update:
* Voice Control now works over Bluetooth
* Updated AT&T profile to 4.2 — MMS is now enabled or at least has a button
* Improvements to OpenGL and Quartz.
* iPhone vibrates when moving icons
* Non-destructive video editing. Trimming a clip no longer saves over the original. “Save as. . . ” option now available.
* APIs to allow third party apps to access videos and edit them.
* Updated modem firmware to 5.08.01
No way to really know if this is actually what will appear in the update (Unless you happen to be a developer). Truth be told, some of us here at The Flickcast are developers, but we can’t say one way or the other unless we want Apple to get angry — and nobody wants that.
But if is true, this will surly be a great improvement for iPhone users. I’m especially encouraged by the inclusion of MMS in this new update. But having a button isn’t the end of the story. AT&T still needs to enable the feature on their network. Knowing them, it will probably take way longer than it should.