On Friday, Activision brought news of the latest installment to their smash music genre series Guitar Hero with Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock. Instead of just being the traditional formula of playing through various setlists with no context or story behind it, Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock looks to redefine the style of the genre using Quest mode. In addition, the game will feature an all knew “rock inspired” guitar controller, the largest on disc collection of any Guitar Hero game to date and an all new Quickplay+ mode as well.
David Haddad, Chief Operating Officer, Guitar Hero said, “Guitar Hero has set the standard for music based gaming and with Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock’s all-new Quest Mode, robust and authentic set list, over-the-top challenges and rock-inspired new hardware, we are once again bringing the soul and energy of rock n’ roll to fans around the world.”
In Quest Mode, players will use eight Guitar Hero characters in any combination of instruments to help the Demi-God of Rock take down “The Beast” and save rock n’ roll. With “venues” ranging from the punk rock palace of CBGB’s in New York City to mythical lava fields, the game looks to have a fantasy motif under it somewhat similar to that of Brutal Legend. As seen in the trailer below, the game will put lots of focus on these eight characters and the respective beasts they become.
“The world is a boring place. Come with me, and enter a world populated of Demi-Gods and Beasts. Transform from an everyday person and become the savior of rock and roll,” said Gene Simmons of KISS. “It was an honor and privilege to narrate Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock, even more so, to voice the Demi God. From the God of Thunder to the Demi-God, how cool is that…”
In addition, every song on the disc will have a thirteen challenges associated with it during Quickplay+. All downloaded and imported songs from Guitar Hero World Tour will also feature these updated challenges as well. They will range from Band Streak to High Score to Power Challenges where players get to choose combinations of Warrior Powers unlocked in Quest Mode to try and create ungodly high scores. Quickplay+ leaderboards will be created to further facilitate this new mode.
“Guitar Hero’s success has been driven by the seamless integration of hardware and software; creating innovative and accessible gameplay in tandem with developing and manufacturing top-quality hardware peripherals,” said David Haddad, Chief Operating Officer for Guitar Hero. “With the new rock-inspired Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock guitar controller, our hardware team has once again proven themselves to be a world-class leader in the category delivering an awesome, top-quality and rocktastic controller that will be the musical weapon of choice for all budding rock stars this fall.”
Take a peek below at the new announcement trailer and current announced set list of the more than 90 total tracks that will be featured in the final retail version of the game.
- AFI – “Dancing Through Sunday”
- Avenged Sevenfold – “Bat Country”
- Black Sabbath – “Children Of The Grave”
- Buzzcocks – “What Do I Get?”
- Children Of Bodom – “If You Want Peace… Prepare For War”
- The Cure – “Fascination Street”
- Def Leppard – “Pour Some Sugar On Me (Live)”
- Dethklok – “Bloodlines”
- DragonForce – “Fury of the Storm”
- Drowning Pool – “Bodies”
- Foo Fighters – “No Way Back”
- Foreigner – “Feels Like The First Time”
- Jane’s Addiction – “Been Caught Stealing”
- KISS – “Love Gun”
- Megadeth – “Sudden Death” (Written by Dave Mustain exclusively for the game’s Quest mode)
- Metallica & Ozzy Osbourne – “Paranoid (Live)”
- Muse – “Uprising”
- My Chemical Romance – “I’m Not Okay (I Promise)”
- Queen – “Bohemian Rhapsody”
- Rammstein – “Waidmanns Heil”
- The Rolling Stones – “Stray Cat Blues”
- Silversun Pickups – “There’s No Secrets This Year”
- Slayer – “Chemical Warfare”
- ZZ Top – “Sharp Dressed Man (Live)”
Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock is being developed by Neversoft Entertainment for the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3 and by Vicarious Visions for the Nintendo Wii.